When Owners Fall Behind How to Collect Condo Arrears

A common problem facing condo associations, boards and managers is how to compel unit owners who fall behind in their common charges to pay their arrears. In a condominium association with only a few units, if even one unit owner falls behind in common charge payments, the building may have trouble meeting operating expenses. When unit owners in larger condominium associations with many units fall into arrears, although the impact may not be felt immediately, eventually the shortfall will have to borne by the other unit owners via increases in common charges or assessments.

The good news is that there are several effective legal methods a condo association's attorney can use to collect common charge arrears on behalf of a building once non-judicial methods of collection have been exhausted. Which method or combination of methods will be best for a particular situation will depend on the circumstances.

A Variety of Methods

When a person purchases a condo unit, he or she becomes contractually bound to abide by the condominium's declaration and by-laws, which set forth when common charges are due. As a result, if a unit owner falls into arrears on his or her common charges, the board of managers (on behalf of the unit owners of the condominium association) may sue the delinquent unit owner for breach of contract to obtain a money judgment. Additionally, the New York State legislature has enacted several laws, which, among other things give condominium boards the ability to bring foreclosure actions and take back a unit from a unit owner in arrears, similar to a mortgage bank's ability to foreclose a mortgage.

Breach of Contract for Money Judgments

A simple way to attempt collection of common charge arrears is by suing the delinquent unit owner for breach of contract due to his or her failure to pay common charges pursuant to the by-laws of his or her condominium. Assuming the unit owner has no valid defense or fails to raise a defense to his or her lack of payment, the board of managers will be awarded a money judgment, which will be docketed against the unit owner in the county clerk's office.

Next, the board can attempt to enforce the judgment by having a marshal or sheriff levy on the judgment. When a marshal or sheriff levies on a judgment they can confiscate the debtor's personal property, sell the property at auction, and then use the proceeds of the sale to pay off the judgment debt. The marshal or sheriff can also freeze the money in a judgment debtor's bank accounts. Lastly, the judgment debtor's employer can be contacted in order to garnish his or her wages.


Related Articles

Q&A: Assessments Collection

Q&A: Assessments Collection

Collections in 2020

Why Race Matters

CAI Releases Statement on Foreclosure Moratorium

Calls for 'Flexibility, Understanding, and Business Continuity'

Q&A: Tenant Obligations During a Foreclosure

Q&A: Tenant Obligations During a Foreclosure

Co-ops and the Paycheck Protection Program

A Window to Obtain PPP Loans Opens

The CooperatorEvents Presents: Budget or Lose It - Maintaining Optimal Cash Flow in Your Community Association

A Virtual Town Hall Sponsored by: Axela Technologies



  • for how long is a condo lien good assuming there is a superior lien ie money mortgage lien this is a state test question that i can not find an answer for new jersey law
  • I am a unit owner who fall behind in arrears. The condo is up for sale. They have filed receivership. How long does the process take and what should I do?
  • Article was very helpful on commoncharges but how about fines or fees imposed on condo owners for breaches of the by-law provisions, such as pet clauses, trash removal, noise etc... can you file liens based upon that
  • Very instructive article. Is there any information on what happens to owed common charges in the event of a bankrupcy and a mortgage cram down?
  • I would like the answer to all these comments. The information was superb...
  • is there a nj govt website showing names of owners in arrears?
  • Can the board charge for the lawyer letter Warning of a potential lien?how far behind do you have to be to be in the arrears to have s lien put on your property?
  • Our assn is mandated to provide appropriate insurance. One building is in a flood plain and the assn paid for the flood insurance the past four years. this year the board & membership decided not to pay the insurance. The affected bldg occupants paid the insurance and now are withholding their condo fees to recoup their expense (they are paying the statutory reserve amount $20). Board is threatening to put liens on the property of the owners who are withholding. 1) how expensive to place lien in WI? 2) will lien affect our credit rating? We are prepared to fight in court should they place a lien, thinking we will win because they reneged on their obligation to provide insurance. Your thoughts?
  • I am interested in the answer to Davis' question above. My fiance's condo association said they'd put a lien on his condo for a $25 fine for noise violation. It's a long story, but we have renters who made noise while they were MOVING OUT (late at night). It seems like a waste of time/money. He doesn't want to pay, because the noisy tenants are gone...
  • statement of condominium lien on condo owner for arrears in fees. owner filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy and states associations' lien is no longer valid and he has an accepted offer for the purchase of his property. does the lien still hold as a secured creditor under the federal bankruptcy code? will association be paid for the full amount on the lien?
  • Hi, I am a tenant and my owner has some disputes with the condomonium board. Today, I have received a letter from County Civil Court in my name and asking me to pay the rent directly to Court instead of unit owner. As it came as a surprised to me, I talked to the owner but he is insisting me to send the rent to him. He is also indirectly threatening me of the security deposit, if don't pay him the rent. My lease agreement was till 31-July-11. And as per verbal agreement with owner, I am staying on Month on month basis. There is no written document to confirm this. I don't want to stay any more in this disputed property and want to move to some other property. Please advice what steps I should follow: 1. Pay the rent to Court 2. Send a legal registered letter to owner informing him of paying the rent to court 3. Also send a advance one month notice to owner for leaving the apartment and request for my security deposit refund after I leave the apartment. I had a good relationship with him so far, but today it was different. Should I first talk to him and explain to him about my decision. Not sure whether he will agree or like it as he tends to explain his mortgage dependency on the rent and that's why he wants the rent to him. Please advice.
  • Tenant: If you received a letter from the court, then it has already ruled against the owner, so you should pay the court rather than your landlord. Step 2 of your proposed course of action is unnecessary, as the court has already notified the owner of this decision (probably due to delinquency of his own association fees). As your month-to-month tenancy is by verbal agreement, giving a 30 day intent to vacate notice is probably a good idea. Whether he likes it or not is not the issue. Nor is whether YOU like it. If you have been ordered by the court to pay the court, that supersedes your agreement with the landlord. Don't pay him directly. The consequences are his, not yours.
  • if i do not agree pay the legal fees the association asset in my account, the association can put a lean or fourclose on me.
  • My condo has not been maintaining the property as an owner I understand that I cannot withhold maint fees. Now they have passed two resolutions, one for fee collection policy and priority payment application. If I state on my check that I wish the payment to go toward maint fees only, how can they pass a resolution which ignors this request. Is it permitted to apply payments to attorney fees, fines, late fees, first? Especially since our bylaws do not address any fines or penalties, only interest.
  • my condo board goes for money judgement 'cause i, as the unit owner has dispute(for unknown erasable dirt stain on the wall of common area) over fines (valid defense or raise a defense). the condo board will use legal lawsuit to compel owner, me to pay the fines based on weak evidence and retaliation (questioning them) so as an owner like me, please tell me how to get a relief in the court to protect me from bully and abusive by condo board, the fine is growing for six months over a thousand. thanks a bunch
  • A person owns 4 condos. The owner is disputing fees on 1 unit. Can an association restrict the use of common areas (parking spot/laundryroom storage) on the other 3 condos when there are no monies owing for those condos? What if tenants are affected?
  • For the past three years, the Board of managers are refusing to acept my common charges. In the past I always qwrte in the note section of the check; "comon charges paid in full no arrears". The Board had imposed fines against me for issues and levied fines without ever having a hearing. So I refused to pay the fines until a hearing was held. Each check I write for the common charges is sent back to me by the condo attorney with a note saying you are prohibited from writing any comments on the check or the coupon. I finally sued the Board, and in court the judge, my attorney and the Boards attorney agreed on a settlement of $5000 to settle all actions. The Board president refuses to acknowledge and accept that deal. So I continue to write on the check " common charges paid in full no arrears". I received a second lien from the board raising my arrears to $26,000. I own my unit with no mortage. Can a Board president unilatterally dismiss a settlement endorced by a judge ? There is nothing in the bylaws giving her this power. I have suggested to the owners the easiest way to resolve all of the financial sanctions the Board has imposed by removing her from the Board. Bylaws say only the Board can remove the president and they are in lock-step with her tactics. My question is: does a Board president have the authority to refuse and dismiss a agreed to and so-ordered order of the court?
  • Condo unit was sold/transferred while the assn was attempting to collect past dues etc from the unit owner. The new unit owner was then billed. In the mean time the new unit owner also sold the property. When the closing attorneys ofc contacted the HOA they were informed of the balance due. The current seller was furious and insisted he was not responsible for the previous owners balance. But eventually an escrow acct was set up to hold onto these funds enabling sale of the property. It has been 3 yrs and the funds are still sitting in escrow at the closing attorney's ofc... the individual responsible will not release the funds. Any suggestions?
  • is it legal for a condo president, know how much a person awes the assn fee. if the management tells them?
  • There is a Levey and possible sherrif sale against me. the debt is in my name. can they sell a vehicle that is paid off but registered in both my name and my husband's?
  • If you are a condo owner who as made partial payments over the past year (and have stayed in touch with the management co. regarding only having a part-time job) and now can make full payments to stay current. Can the board put a lien on you for the balance even if you do not have the money to pay it back now?
  • I BOUGHT 2 CONDOES IN FOECLOSUE SELL ...WHEN I WENT THERE The city had demolished all 120 condoes and I saw a big land what must I do ?
  • Can my landlord evict me for nonpayment of rent if the courts have ordered me to pay my rent to them. The courts are threatening to put a lien on my bank account if I don't pay them. My owner/landlord is in arrears to the condo board. I have a lease. Someone please answer. I don't want to be evicted and don't know what to do. Can't afford a lawyer
  • We have a condo that's been vacant over three years and owes the association thirty thousand .The owner passed away who live out of state,her sons inherited the property and never made any payment.They say our hands are tied be caused it became bank owned and their is a big second mortgage .Please give us help, thank you
  • Can the association place lens in me personally and garnish my wages? I always believed the lien had to be placed on the unit.
  • if im not paying rent and live in a condo that has a maintenence dispute with the owner can they throw me out of the apartment
  • Our 6 unit condo association is stuck managing a unit for which we got an Order of Possession from the owner for failure to pay HOA fees back in 1996. We have been paying the monthly assessments out of the proceeds of renting out the unit, but we do not want to keep on being saddled with this unit. Do we have the legal right to force the sale of this unit even though the HOA fees are not in arrears (because the rent money has been paying for it) and the property taxes or up to date and there is no mortgage on this unit? The long-ago evicted owner will not respond to any attempts for us to contact her to find out her intentions. We are thinking of just keeping the unit empty and not renting it out anymore since there are enough funds in the rental account to pay the HOA fees for the next 20 years. But we do not know if we are legally allowed to keep the place empty or whether that would make us negligent given that the Association was given the Order of Possession, however long ago that was.
  • we have a condo owner with 2 condos that she rents out. she at one time was president and we allowed $100 fee for that position. she also insisted on $25 for each phone call or email as she insisted we needed a "construction mgr" (her) during the time we had the roof redone. after that she tried to give herself a raise of another $100 per month and we stopped that and eventually voted her off the board as she was impossible to work with, not to mention not paying condo fees. She refused to do the few duties she was supposed to be taking care of also during the time she was pres. the board takes care of most of the things that come up and we have a company that does our taxes, pays our bills and takes care of paperwork. since she thought she was entitled to get paid one way or another she has stopped paying condo fees for past 4 months and is still collecting rent while her tenants are using common areas for free and having snow removed etc. what is the best and simplest way to get these fees collected.
  • would like resposnes to questions asked