Filing Insurance Claims Choosing Wisely Can Save Money

Boards and associations, just like individuals, carry insurance coverage to protect them from liability, loss and other financial and legal problems, although the issues may be a little different than the typical auto or single-family homeowners’ insurance. However, when, and if, to file a claim versus paying out of pocket is always not easy to determine.

Whether it’s for property damage or an injury on the premises, paying a claim can be very expensive. However, a history of claims, frivolous or otherwise, can cause a building or association to pay higher premiums and, in extreme cases, to be dropped from its insurance policy entirely.

What are the main criteria and a co-op, condo or HOA development should consider when deciding whether or not to submit an insurance claim?

Weighing the Claims

Ed Mackoul, president of Mackoul & Associates, an insurance brokerage in Island Park, says that with property claims, the association should weigh the type of claim, the deductible that will be applied and the estimated cost to repair or replace the damage. For example, he says, “If there is a fire in the laundry room and the cost to repair it is under the deducible, there probably isn’t a reason to submit it. Even if the damage exceeds the deductible, the board may want to weigh whether it’s worth submitting a claim.”

“Insurance companies,” Mackoul continues, “are in business to make money. When they start losing money on an account, their options are generally to cancel the insurance or raise the premium, so submitting a $6,000 claim when a building has a $5,000 deductible may not be in their best interest if they’ve submitted other clams in the past.”


Related Articles

A Hard Market

Understanding the Current Insurance Cycle

Protecting Board Members from Claims

A Look at Liability & Insurance Coverage

Co-op and Condo Liability Insurance: How Much Is Too Much?

Protect Yourself Without Going Overboard



  • My c0-op hired a snow removal company to remove snow from the parking lot. My car got damaged and I'm in the process of looking at the cameras to see what actually happened. Who would be responsible for the damage the co-op or the snow removal company? The co-op said contact your insurance company which I'm not going to do.